Saturday, June 5, 2010
I always learn something about negotiating after a visit with my grandsons ages 1.5 and 3.5. One of my grandsons was very interested in obtaining a special car from Disney's Animated Film Cars. Watching him, I learned a lot about persistence and intend to incorporate some of these rules in my own negotiations.
Rules on Persistence
1. If you really want something, don't give up.
2. Have a one-track mind.
3. Ignore whatever is being discussed and go back to that issue every chance you get.
4. Remind the other party frequently that this is all that you want.
5. Tell the other party that you are willing to have a tantrum if you don't get it.
6. Tell the other party that there is no substitute for the item you want.
7. Keep talking about this item no matter what is being discussed.
8. If you see it, pick it up in the store and don't put it back.
9. Make it clear that you are not leaving unless you get this item.
10. If there is discussion you don't want to hear, put your fingers in your ears and say "la-la-la-la-la."
11. Explain that you do not have an identical one at home; the one at home is green and this one is blue.
12. Explain that even if this is expensive, it will be worth the cost because you will not ask for another one.
13. Even if this won't fit in the suit case, it can be shipped home.
14. Explain that this is the only thing that can make you happy.
15. If all else fails, say,"I know you are, but what I am I."
16. If offered another item, don't look at it.
17. Don't get distracted and focus on your goal.
18. Keep saying the same thing over and over no matter what.
19. If all else fails, say, "The heart likes what the heart likes."
20. Point out that Timmy's Mommy lets him have one.
I have watched these strategies in action and am going to try them in the adult world. Try these techniques in your own negotiations and see where it takes you.
Mary Greenwood, Mediator, Attorney and Author
How To Negotiate LIke A Pro: 41 Rules for Resolving Disputes, Winner of six book awardsBest How To Book, DIY FestivalRunner Up, New York Book Festival, E-Book and Self-Help CategoryFinalist ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year AwardsFinalist, Best National Book Awards, Self-Help CategoryHonorable Mention, London Book FestivalHow To Mediate Like A Pro: 42 Rules for Mediating DisputesWinner of five book awardsBest National Book Award, Law CategoryBest E-Book, New York Book FestivalBest How To Book, Beach Book FestivalBest E-Book, Indie Excellence AwardsSpirit AWard, South Florida Writers AssociationEmail: email@example.com blog: howtonegotiatelikeapro.blogspot.com