WELCOME

You Can Negotiate Anything, Anywhere, Anytime

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Look for Red Flags During the Interview Process



As part of your debriefing after an interview, you should list any red flags that may make working at this company unacceptable. You may have seen things at this employer that gave you pause about working there. In the excitement of going for an interview, do not overlook these red flags and go with your gut.

Here are some potential red flags:

1. I am not sure my management style is compatible with my new boss.
It is important that you and your new boss work well together. You may want to ask your prospective boss what his management style is and how he likes to work on projects. If you like to work independently and he/she likes to micromanage, there may be a potential problem.

2. I want to know how long my new boss intends to work before retiring.
Once I took a job and my new boss almost immediately announced his retirement. I immediately started looking for a job. It was a good thing I was proactive because after I left, they eliminated that position and did not reinstate it for at least twenty years. This is a tricky subject, but you might want to discreetly ask what your prospective boss' future plans are.

3. I would like to know if they will train me and pay me for conferences.
With budget shortfalls, cuts in travel and training are some of the first to be eliminated. If this is very important to you, this may be a red flag. You should ask before you accept an offer whether they will pay for you to go to a national or regional conference. You should explain how important it is to you to keep up to date in your field.

4. I heard someone mention layoffs during my interview.
You might wonder if the rumors are true. If you have already been through a layoff, you probably want to avoid putting yourself in that position again.

Everyone's red flags will be different depending on his/her comfort level on these issues. Of course, things will happen that are not foreseeable, but make sure you find out as much as you can on these red flag issues before making your decision to accept an offer.

Mary Greenwood, Attorney Mediator, and Author of How to Interview Like a Pro, Editor's Choice and Rising Star, How to Negotiate like a Pro, Winner of six book awards and How to Mediate Like a Pro, Winner of twelve book awards.
Email: howtointerview@aol.com
Website: http://www.marygreenwood.org

No comments: