Sunday, November 5, 2017
How to Deal with a Boss Who has a Short Attention Span
1. Get to the point quickly.
Don't make it overly complicated. Skip the background and history you might tell someone with a longer attention span.
2. Summarize and put everything on one page.
If you report has several pages, put everything the boss needs to know on one page. Then summarize the one page with a conclusion.
3. Write a short agenda for your meeting for your use.
Write what you want to say, your quick arguments for your recommendation, so you know exactly what you want to say and how long it takes.
4. Prepare a written document for him to sign in case your boss agrees with your recommendation.
It will save time if you have a written document to sign or even two alternatives if there are two possibilities. This will save you the time of coming back just to sign.
5. Allow your boss to take credit for signed agreement.
Even if the recommendations were all your idea, give your boss all the credit.