WELCOME

You Can Negotiate Anything, Anywhere, Anytime

Saturday, August 3, 2013

How to Answer This Question in a Job Interview: What are Your Weaknesses?



The worst thing you can do when asked about your weaknesses is to say you can't think of any or that you don't have any. That just sounds arrogant.

Be honest but pick a relatively weak weakness. Your interviewers do not want to know that sometimes you have tantrums, take a lot of time off, let your secretary sign important papers, or don't get along with coworkers.
If you are applying for a budget job, don't say you aren't good with numbers. If you know that your predecessor is a micro-manager, don't say you like to get into everyone's projects,
A. Here are some suggestions with a solution to followup.
1. Sometimes I have too much on my plate and am stretched too thin.
Solution: I am working on delegating some of my projects to others.
2. I work too hard.
Solution: I am working on balancing my personal and business life.
3. I am impatient. I like to do things myself rather than explain to others.
Solution: I am learning the virtues of patience and will take time to explain what I need.
4. I am a perfectionist.
Solution: I am taking measures to overcome this. I realize that everything I write or work on does not have to be perfect all the time.
5. I hate to fire employees and I put off addressing employee issues. I often feel that with enough mentoring and training, an employee can be salvaged.
Solution: Although I still like to help troubled employees and give them a second chance, I am now addressing employee issues sooner if it is detrimental to the workplace.
B. Be prepared to answer the employer's follow-up question.
1. How is that a weakness? I want employees to work hard.
Answer: I will always work hard for the company, but I want some balance. Of course, I will make myself available 24/7 via cell phone. When I am needed, of course I will stay late at work.
2. How is that a weakness? Everyone has too much on their plate. Multi-tasking is a way of life.
Answer: That is true. However, I am always working on being efficient and meeting my deadlines. In some cases, I may do the bulk of the work, but mostly it will mean that my team and I are working together to get the job done.
3. How is that a weakness? I like perfection.
Answer: So do I. However, being a perfectionist can slow things down. If I wait for the third or fourth review, I may miss a deadline. I trust my staff and when I feel the product is excellent, though maybe not perfect, I will approve it.
If you follow these tips, you will be interviewing like a pro!
Mary Greenwood, Attorney, HR Director, Mediator, and Author,
How to Negotiate Like a Pro, winner of nine book awards
How to Interview Like a Pro, Winner of thirteen book awards,
How to Mediate Like A Pro, Winner of twelve book awards
Available at http://www.amazon.com
Howtointerview@aol.com
http://www.marygreenwood.org




No comments: