WELCOME

You Can Negotiate Anything, Anywhere, Anytime

Friday, May 20, 2011

Interview with Mary Greenwood



Interview: Mary Greenwood, Author of How to Interview Like a Pro

Book Titles:
How to Interview Like a Pro: 43 Rules For Getting Your Next Job, How to Mediate Like a Pro: 42 Rules for Mediating Disputes and How to Negotiate Like a Pro; 41 Rules for Resolving Disputes

Website URL:
www.marygreenwood.com

Social Media Links:
Twitter: @Marygreenwood

What is your book about?
How to Interview Like a Pro offers strategies and practical tips about the interview process based on the author’s experience as a Human Resources Director, Employment Attorney and thousands of job interviews.

What inspired you to write your book?
I had written How to Negotiate Like a Pro and How to Mediate Like a Pro and had an aha moment when I realized that the interview process is one big negotiation. That is when I decided to write a book on interviewing.

How did you come to do what you’re doing today?
I started as an attorney forty years ago. Then twenty years ago, I switched to being a Human Resources Director using my legal back ground. Then after I retired the first time, I became a mediator, arbitrator and author of my first two books. Then two years ago, I went back into the workplace and am now working as Human Resources Manager of the City of Winter Park, Florida and going to book events on the weekend.

Can you describe a typical day in your life?
Typically, I walk with my Boston Terrier every day and go swimming several times a week. I love to travel and go to the movies and theatre.

I am always working on a project whether it is preparing for union negotiations at work, preparing for a class I am teaching at Barry Law School or preparing for a training session on mediation. My favorite time is that spent with my grandsons, Jack and Gage, who love to come to Orlando to visit me and Mickey Mouse.

What do you most enjoy about what you do?
I am a problem solver and anything concerning problem solving is what I enjoy most.

Are there any people and/or books that have inspired you along your journey?
My greatest inspiration were my parents. They encouraged me to go to law school when it was very unusual for women to go to law school (there were 3 women in my class.) My mother loved reading and literature. She and I were both English Majors. My father was an engineer and when he died two years ago, we compiled a list of “Jacksims” which were his favorite expressions, which we still use all the time. He was a very optimistic person and would always say things like: 1. Keep your snorkel up! 2. Don’t Give Up the Ship and 3. That is better than a sharp stick in the eye. They both were very funny and that humor carried over to everything they did.

Can you share some business tips for our readers?
Here are some of my best interviewing tips.

1. Expect the question you don’t want to answer. You know what it is.
After Tim Russert died, people that he interviewed said that he always asked the one question that they did not want to answer. Think it through and know what that answer will be. In most cases, you will want your side of the issue to be told first.

2. Learn something about the company where you are applying. That is one of the biggest complaints I get. When asked what they know about the company where they are interviewing don’t have anything to say.

3. Finding a job is like parking; you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Can you share something that people might be surprised to learn about you?
I used to be a big collector of Mr. Peanuts items and old tin sand pails. After enjoying these items for many years, I sold it all on eBay.

Is there anything else you would like to add?
I have really learned a lot about the world of self-publishing the last five years.



Mary Greenwood, Mediator, Attorney and Author ofHow To Negotiate LIke A Pro: 41 Rules for Resolving Disputes, Winner of six book awardsBest How To Book, DIY FestivalRunner Up, New York Book Festival, E-Book and Self-Help CategoryFinalist ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year AwardsFinalist, Best National Book Awards, Self-Help CategoryHonorable Mention, London Book FestivalHow To Mediate Like A Pro: 42 Rules for Mediating DisputesWinner of five book awardsBest National Book AWard, Law CategoryBest E-Book, New York Book FestivalBest How To Book, Beach Book FestivalBest E-Book, Indie Excellence AwardsSpirit AWard, South Florida Writers AssociationEmail: howtonegotiate@aol.comwww.marygreenwood.com

No comments: