WELCOME

You Can Negotiate Anything, Anywhere, Anytime

Friday, October 24, 2008

How To Negotiate With a Two Year Old



This is my handsome grandson, Jack, with his orange doggy shirt. Jack loves Betty, my Boston Terrier, (see previous post) and loves to wear his "doggy" shirt from the Black Dog Shop in Martha's Vineyard, MA. He loves it so much that he wears it every day. This presents a problem because occasionally the shirt needs washng. When I was visiting, I tried to get him to wear a different shirt. I actually tricked him for about two minutes and got him to wear another orange shirt until he realized it had a giraffe on it rather that his beloved doggy. He quickly took it off and demanded the real thing.

His parents decided that it was not worth the effort to negotiate with Jack about his favorite shirt. They just bought four other orange doggy shirts so he would always have a spare. I agree with that approach. I was thinking about my rules of negotiations and there are certain situations where it just doesn't pay to try to change someone's mind and this is one of them. Why not let Jack wear the "doggy" shirt if he wants? It is kind of heart-warming to see someone so passionate about his shirt. It is sort of like Linus and his blanket.

So How Do You Negotiate With A Two-Year Old? Sometimes the best thing may be to let him wear what he wants.

No comments: