WELCOME

You Can Negotiate Anything, Anywhere, Anytime

Monday, November 10, 2008

Mark Twain is Still Quotable

If You Tell The Truth, You Don't Have to Remember Anything

I visited the Mark Twain Museum Home in Hartford, Connecticut, this week and I picked up a sheet of Twain Quotes. I was amazed at how many quotes I remembered, but had not realized they were by Twain. His wit still shines and his comments are so relevant even a hundred years later.

I grew up in West Hartford, Connecticut, just on the other side of Farmington Avenue that goes into Hartford. I think we took Mark Twain for granted and did not know much about him except for Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I was an Associate Editor on my High School Yearbook and our theme was Mark Twain. We had pictures of Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher matched with high school sweethearts. We had Tom painting a fence matched with homecoming preparations. And we had Mark Twain quotes throughout the book.

Now forty plus years later, I was looking at all those quotes again. They mean a lot more after having some experience of life and Twain's wit always shines through.

Here are some examples:
"The man with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
Following the Equator

"All good things arrive unto them that wait--and don't die in the meantime."
Letter from SLC to Orion

"The Lack of money is the root of all evil."
More Maxims of Mark Johnson, 1927

"Travel is fatal to prejudice."
Innocents Abroad

"I was Born Modest, but it didn't last."
Speech 3.4.1906

When I get home, I am going to look at that yearbook with new and more experienced eyes.

"



Mary Greenwood, Mediator, Attorney and Author of
How To Negotiate LIke A Pro: 41 Rules for Resolving Disputes, Winner of six book awards
Best How To Book, DIY Festival
Runner Up, New York Book Festival, E-Book and Self-Help Category
Finalist ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards
Finalist, Best National Book Awards, Self-Help Category
Honorable Mention, London Book Festival
How To Mediate Like A Pro: 42 Rules for Mediating Disputes
Winner of five book awards
Best National Book AWard, Law Category
Best E-Book, New York Book Festival
Best How To Book, Beach Book Festival
Best E-Book, Indie Excellence Awards
Spirit AWard, South Florida Writers Association
Email: howtonegotiate@aol.com
www.marygreenwood.com

No comments: