WELCOME

You Can Negotiate Anything, Anywhere, Anytime

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Glass Ceiling and the Election 18 Million Chinks


One of 18 million chinks in the glass ceiling.
It has been over 20 years since the Wall Street Journal coined the expression"Glass Ceiling" to explain the barriers women face to get to the highest levels of the corporate ladder.
I have seen the glass ceiling myself. I was in Law School in the 1960's and was asked by a fellow male classmate why I had taken a male's spot in the class. I was speechless since I was so surprised by the question. Since then I have thought of a lot of good answers.
I worked for the Equal Rights Amendment in the 1970's and was a Delegate to IWY (International Women's Year 1977) in Houston as a delgate from South Carolina. I was a Law School Professor in the late 1970's where I was the one of two women professors. Later I taught "Women and the Law" and "Employment Discrimination." I was a Law Professor in the 1980's and there were substantial numbers of female students, but still only four women professors.

I agree with Gloria Steinem who said that, "Clinton's candidacy has made it possible for huge numbers of people to imagine a female head of state." Sarah Palin also entered into the national discussion: lipstick on pigs, moose hunting, clothes, childcare issues, and babies with special needs.
As the Virginia Slims ad used to say: :We have Come A Long Way, Baby,"
Maybe we don't have that long to go. I am still hoping for a Woman President in my lifetime.



Mary Greenwood, Mediator, Attorney and Author of
How To Negotiate LIke A Pro: 41 Rules for Resolving Disputes, Winner of six book awards
Best How To Book, DIY Festival
Runner Up, New York Book Festival, E-Book and Self-Help Category
Finalist ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards
Finalist, Best National Book Awards, Self-Help Category
Honorable Mention, London Book Festival
How To Mediate Like A Pro: 42 Rules for Mediating Disputes
Winner of five book awards
Best National Book AWard, Law Category
Best E-Book, New York Book Festival
Best How To Book, Beach Book Festival
Best E-Book, Indie Excellence Awards
Spirit AWard, South Florida Writers Association
Email: howtonegotiate@aol.com
www.marygreenwood.com

No comments: